My goals for this past week (July 9-15) were:
- Monday: 5 miles Easy (AM) + Strength (30 Min – PM)
- Tuesday: Stroke’n'Stride Open Water Swim
- Wednesday: 50 min Spin Class + 1 mi brick
- Thurs: 5 miles – Bastille Day 8K
- Friday: 2 miles + Easy Bike Ride (without socks. Practice U-Turns, taking hydration on the run. Practice opening & taking from bento box as needed, or gu’s taped to the handlebars).
- Saturday: 11 miles – hopefully at least 6 with CES.
- Sunday: Open Water Swim Clinic + Bike Ride to 63rd Street Beach
What actually happened:
- Monday: 30 min Strength + 5.5 miles Easy (PM)
- Tuesday: Rest
- Wednesday: 30 min Strength
- Thurs: 5 miles – Bastille Day 8K 46:53
- Friday: Easy Bike Ride (without socks. Practice U-Turns,
taking hydration on the run. Practice opening & taking from bento box as needed, or gu’s taped to the handlebars).
- Saturday: 13 miles pacing for CES at an overall 10:40 pace.
- Sunday: Open Water Swim Clinic
Overall I’m pretty happy with my week. I didn’t get in everything I was hoping for, but I also took the rest when I needed it. I could work better at getting enough sleep during the week, but I’ve been enjoying watching the Tour de France!
Bastille Day 8K Race Report:
- This is a Chicago evening race that I’ve wanted to do for several years now. I’m happy I did it, and ran it with Anna, a friend from CES!
- It is a crowded Lincoln Park race, so it’s challenging to do well. It was very dusty – I felt a film of dust covering my throat.
- I forgot my Garmin for this race, so I ran “naked,” and tried to figure out my splits from the timing clocks. I estimated several 9:30 miles, which is about right for a 9:25 overall pace on the 8K.
- I got a cramp at the same spot near the finish as at the Turkey Trot. Is it all in my head? I think I did a better job pushing through this year.
- The Post Race party took place at the Nature Museum. We tried to go in, but there was a ridiculous line just to get upstairs where the party was. I didn’t know we were missing Britt’s win! Mike, Anna & I chilled outside for a while, and then Mike & I went out for some delicious vegan food at Native Foods Café.