This weekend I had to suck it up and not work out. Why?
For this beauty:
I got my hair cut & straightened Friday after work and found out at the end that I couldn’t wet or tie my hair back for 72 hours! WTF?!! The price for low key maintenance, and for beauty – haha! At least I got wine while I was getting all prettied up!
So I took it pretty easy over the 3 day weekend – hair pulled back in a thick hairband at my VQ Course Ride on Saturday, and then keeping warm on Sunday & Monday.
And today I’m onto prepping for my winter challenges – the FFC Indoor Triathlon Series!
I’ve got a few of these indoor races lined up:
- This weekend – a Chicago Triathlon Club triathlon, sprint distance (~750m swim / 20k CompuTrainer Bike / 5k run)
- February & March – a series of 3 time based triathlons: 15 minute swim (pool), 10 minute transition, 20 minute bike (on Life Fitness Upright Bikes), 5 minute transition, and 15 minute run (on track or treadmill).
- March 23 – the culmination of an Olympic-distance triathlon! 1 mile swim, 40K Bike (on a computrainer), & 10K treadmill run
I’ve been working on my swimming, and I’ve been doing indoor cycling workouts, so I’m focusing on getting my treadmill endurance up!
Tonight I sped through a quick 5K run on the treadmill, and I’ve come up with a few “dread mill” tips that work for me:
- Listen to music – fast paced, and pump it up! Put it on repeat if necessary
- Watch some TV. I felt more virtuous watching “Chopped” tonight than when I when I’m sitting on my butt at home.
- Play some pace games – up the pace each song, or at commercial breaks, etc.
- Have two towels – one to wipe my sweaty face with, and the other to cover the treadmill monitor for the bulk of the workout.
Other treadmill tips from other bloggers:
- 30 Reasons to Not Hate the Treadmill – by Annabelle – cheer her on as she trains for another Boston Marathon!
- Speedwork for Dummies – by Amanda Too Tall Fritz
- Stuck Running on a Treadmill? – by Susan Lacke on No Meat Athlete
I know it might not be the most conventional type of goal, but I think working up on the mental strength it takes to put in close to an hour on the treadmill will help me overall in my other endurance goals this year & in the future.