I’m going to honor my triathlon obsession by starting a Triathlon Tuesday series! Last week I posted about some common first timer triathlon questions, and later in the week about a training plan.
So when you’re working on swimming, there’s a big general tip that’s different than what you may think about with running or other workout principles:
- Work on your swim technique more than distance. If you can improve your swim form, you’ll be more efficient overall MUCH more quickly than working on overall swim endurance.
Right now in sub 40 degree weather, you’re probably in the pool more than in open water. And if you’re not, well I’m jealous of you since you’re probably in some place much warmer than Chicago!
So what can you do?
- Work with a swim group or get a few coaching sessions. A coach can provide some good pointers, and it’s always good to see what other people are doing.
- Watch some YouTube videos on areas you need to work on. I’d swum for 10 years on swim team growing up and thought I knew swimming form until I started up with a coach again. I’ve been watching videos to better understand what I’ve been missing since before YouTube was invented.
Some blog posts I’ve found helpful:
- Healthy Tipping Point: Tips for Swimmers
- Healthy Tipping Point: Best ‘How to Swim’ YouTube Videos
- Cook Eat Train Race: Swimming: It’s What I’m Doing
A few YouTube videos I’ve liked:
And onto the Race Giveaway!
Chicago 13.1 Giveaway Rules
- One reader will receive a free entry to the Chicago 13.1 or 5K.
- Required to enter the giveaway: what are you looking forward to about summer running?
- Bonus entry: if you tweet, facebook or blog about this, then you will receive an extra entry!
- Bonus Entry: Like LaurenRuns on Facebook!
- This giveaway is open until 5:00 PM CST on Sunday, March 10. I will announce the winner on Monday, March 11.
- This giveaway is open to anyone who can make it to the race on June 8!