I just finished cycling* with my IM group tonight and our coach asked us to think about and write down 3 goals we have for our training. I had the whole ride to think about what I’d put down. Blog-o-sphere, here’s my goals:
1. Train Smart. This will mean train consistently, listen to my coach, and don’t disobey her orders! Training consistently will probably be the biggest challenge, but I’m feeling good that I have more support than I’ve gotten in the past. I’m working on it, with this week being “get and stay healthy!”
2. Time goal for Ironman: 14:38 or faster. I’m not sure if this is reasonable, nor is it really a logical time. I saw someone finish in that time whom I admire and was with me when I “registered” for IMWI, and consider us similarly abled (as much as me and a 50 year old man can compare ourselves). He did Ironman last year, but his first 70.3 time was similar to mine, and half marathon times have been similar as well. I guess we’ll find out! If I can go faster, that’d be awesome too. I’d be ecstatic finishing with a 13:xx too!
3. Bike Goal for IMLOU: 17 mph. Because I don’t want to be on the bike more than 6 and a half hours.
4. Half Ironman Time Goal: I would like to get to be able to do a 6:10-6:15 timeframe for a half ironman, which I will be completing in June 2014.
5. Swim BHAG: This may be my most ambitious time goal… I would LOVE to swim under 30 minutes at the NOLA 70.3. This would place our team in the top 3-4 for the swim rankings, based on last year’s results. While I’m mostly doing this for fun, I am somewhat intimidated by my teammates. Dave is a beast on the bike, and most of us can acknowledge that Mike is a speed demon on legs. I am much less competitive speed-wise than either of them, but I’d like to present them a respectable opportunity to try and win the co-ed award for the race. This is scary for me because I’m not sure if its’ possible. It requires me to drop 30 seconds off of my 100yd pace from last season (although that was in a full triathlon, not a swim-only event). I’m just not sure if it’s even reasonable, and I’m also a little nervous about my shoulder I spent so much time rehabbing and lots of time now maintaining strength.
So that’s more than 3 goals, and it’s a little nerve-wracking to put these out on the internetz for public consumption & judgement, but this will be an AWESOME training and racing cycle
if WHEN I accomplish all of these.
*Ok well two hours ago now, between penning this, doing some quick research on past results, and eating dinner. But who’s counting?!