I’ve been spending tons more time this summer cycling as I train for my big triathlon. One of the best ways to prepare for a triathlon bike is to ride with other people… you are not doing the race by yourself! Thinking back to when I first started cycling. And for anyone preparing for Venus de Miles or your first group ride (Venus was my first and I loved it! It was such a welcoming atmosphere, with the best aid stations and an awesome post-ride party!)
Things to Bring:
- Bike & Helmet
- Bike Shoes
- Driver’s License & Insurance card, $20 — all in a zip pocket somewhere on you or your bike.
- A gel or bar to eat
- Bottle with water or sports drink
- Some groups require that you bring a flat-changing kit (spare tube, levers, patch kit, CO2 cartridge) in case you get a flat.
Tips & Tricks:
- Call the bike shop to see what the typical distances are for the bike ride. Most group rides are beginner friendly or will clearly state a speed zone.
- If you’re a newbie and not on a road bike, then you are likely to be riding 16 mph or less.
If you’ve been riding more lately, and want to try out a very welcoming ride, join me at the Venus de Miles ride on August 9! They have a distance for everyone: 13 miles, 28 miles, and 64 miles! To register with a $5 Discount, use the code LaurenRuns when registering!