March seems like it flew by! I’m trying to keep a regular review of my month this year. I did a lot of work, but here were some fun things I did during March:
Nike Women’s Day Celebration
Maggie and I met up to celebrate International Women’s Day with Nike at an event held in the West Loop. I had a great time listening to some pretty inspirational women in Chicago, going through some goal setting (really, barrier breaking), and then going for a run (of course)! It was a great experience and I’m happy I got the chance to join in on this fun!
Blogger Brunch at Davanti Enoteca
I had a great brunch meeting up with the Windy City Bloggers at Davanti Enoteca on a Saturday morning. A great splurge after a hard computrainer workout, and we ate SO well! I kept gluten-free and ate the cauliflower steak, some of the bacon, and had the pork belly hash minus the toast. And a bite of the bruschetta minus the toast… also delicious!
Travel to Portland Maine
I also got the opportunity to travel back to Maine in March! This was for work, and I am grateful for the opportunity to travel! I have some friends in Maine, so it was great to see them, to see the ocean, and to have my first run of the year in shorts! Wish I’d taken a photo, because it was gorgeous running along the harbor in shorts, with snow just off the sides of the sidewalk.
Shamrock Shuffle Expo
To wrap up the month (literally), I had a blast helping to work the Wellfit tent on Friday at the Shamrock Shuffle Expo! It was a lot of fun talking with people and getting others inspired to train for their first triathlon or marathon!
I also found out this month that I was selected to be a Zooma Ambassador for 2017-2018! Zooma is a great race group that I ran one their races in 2013 here in Chicago (Zooma 10K recap) and I loved that event! They are women’s-focused, and very inclusive to everyone (men ran the race too) from hardcore runners to beginners and “seeing if I like running” types of people. I’m now trying to figure out which of their races I might be able to get to this year to help represent!
If you’d like to sign up for a Zooma race, I have a 10% off Discount code! Register with LWONG2017 to get 10% off your race fees! Please feel free to share!
In terms of updating my 2017 Bucket List of experiences, here’s what I was able to knock out:
- Simplify – While the month was jam packed, I am trying to make sure that the events I attend and the work I do is more meaningful. I’m gaining clarity on what I’d like to do in life, so while things are jam-packed, I feel like they are heading in a meaningful direction.
- Reduce Possessions – I wouldn’t really say I made a ton of progress on this, but we did do some significant household replacing of certain things (like a mattress, and other items) that are moving toward owning quality items. We also finished up a bit of a basement redesign that had our family room out of commission during February.
- PR the half marathon — I’m still training toward the Fox Valley PR 13.1 half marathon at the end of April, and feeling pretty good about the chances of PR’ing there!
- Run a sub-8:00 minute mile – I’ve made progress on this since January! This month, I ran two 8:00-paced half miles, with a one minute break in between. Now it’s time to chip away at that rest break!
- Read more — I read 5 books in January. While I’m trying to read more meaningfully, I’ve set a 36 book challenge for the year.
- Get regular massages – I got two massages during the month of March!
I don’t think I actually knocked any single thing off of my bucket list in March. Technically, we could say that I travelled to Portland (!) although when I wrote that up I’d had in mind the Pacific Northwest, not East Coast!
I’d give myself an B+ for running this month. I got most scheduled runs in this month. But I rocked the runs I did complete. And I ran while traveling for work, which is always a bit of a feat from the scheduling/sleeping/eating perspective. I felt really good on all of my runs, so I’m glad to be trucking along!
QOTD: What was the best thing you did in March?