Today I ran as a superhero at the Hero 10K and Half Marathon (I did the 10K). I won the entry from Valerie at The Style Files and was excited to see what my speed and endurance would be like now that I’m two months out from Ironman Louisville. So we bundled up this morning and headed the hour out of Chicago to go to the Indiana Dunes State Park.
I loved the lakefront beach setting for the start and finish to the race. Reminds me of an actual beach (don’t get me wrong, I like that Chicago has beaches, but there’s something to be said for not having the city so close by!). It was chilly, but I warmed up well while running and ended up taking off my arm warmers for the last two miles! I wasn’t sure how fast I’d be able to go, as I’m still getting back to a regular running habit post-IM and re-gaining the speed I lost from training for distance for so long (taking time off from running afterward probably didn’t help much either…).
It was a beautiful run, and I’m happy to report that I ran this race pretty well! I ran by feel for almost the first mile, and saw myself clock a 10:30 for that mile. I then used that to try and chip slowly away to get faster with each mile. And I did pretty well with that!
- Mile 1 – 10:55
- Mile 2 – 12:15 (inc. an emergency bathroom break)
- Mile 3 – 10:03
- Mile 4 – 10:04
- Mile 5 – 9:59
- Mile 6 – 9:32
The race was a bit short – I clocked 5.99 miles total, but I’m ok with that. I’m happy to see that I executed this race well, and that I’m getting faster!
Post race, I treated myself to two cookies, a bottle of water & a run in the photo booth!
FINAL TIME: 1:02:19
AVERAGE PACE: 10:24 (for 5.99 miles, Garmin)
NEXT RACE: Perfect 10 (10-miler), November 8
1. For me, this fall has had a lot of “working through things”. Not just my post-ironman stuff, but getting back into the swing of things with school (short story: it was very hard, and I’m pausing again), healthy eating, and
2. As I mentioned earlier this week, eating healthfully and starting to put together a plan for weight loss is something that’s important to me. I joined One Crazy Penguin’s October Stay Away from Tricks and Treats Challenge! While I haven’t always stayed true (oops – pumpking spice oreo today!), I am trying to get better at using my community to help me stay on track. Oh yeah, and I am trying Diet Bet, where you put some $$ on the line for your weight loss goal. If you meet your goal, you get your money back.
3. I’m excited to be running the Hero 10K this weekend! Erin & Valerie ran it last year, and I won an entry from a giveaway on Valerie’s blog. I’m excited for this race, and going to see if I can dig out my Wonder Woman costume from last year’s IMWI volunteering:
4. I’m also starting to research Cross-Fit and see about upping my strength! It’s an opportunity for me to build a better body, and has had some rave reviews from friends both online and offline. I’ll keep you posted!
5. And it’s been a while, so I’m bringing back Emma! We’re doing some purging at home (more on that later) and recently sold a twin bed that was in our guest room. (We’re going to get a daybed or futon soon). But the bed is gone and our cat just sits on the window sill and looks down, all forlorn, at where the bed used to be. Boo hoo!