So my coach doesn’t let me see the whole training plan. Sometiems this is a little frustrating (as I like to know what’s coming up), but seeing as I started freaking out about my workouts in two weeks, I also understand that I might actually faint from seeing my June or July training schedule!
So I did some poking around and referenced a book I’ve found helpful on triathlon training, the Triathlete’s Training Bible. They have a section on workouts to know if you’re on track for an Ironman finish, or for a particular time finish. It’s still a ways out for me (I’ve got 123 days before Ironman Louisville!) but I thought I’d look at these anyway!
Finisher: Are you on track for a finish, and do you need to dial in training to be able to complete the Ironman.
Faster: Are you on track for your goal Ironman performance
- Finisher: Swim Nonstop in Open Water for 40 minutes (7 weeks go) and 60 minutes (3 weeks to go)
- Faster: In pool, swim 6 x 500m at your expected race pace, 30 seconds rest. This will help you determine if your goal pace is realistic.
- Finisher: Starting 11 weeks out, do a long ride 2 of every 3 weeks, for a total of 6 rides. At 11 weeks you can ride 3.5 hours. Add 30 minutes to each ride. 3 weeks before the race your long ride should be about 6 hours. Fuel on these as you expect to for the race.
- Faster: After building your long rides to 5 or six hours, do anaerobic thresholds. After a 30 min warmup, ride steadily in HR Zone 2 or 65-75% of FTP for 2-4 hours. 30 min cooldown.
- Finisher: Complete a long run 2 of every 3 weeks. Start at 90 minutes and add 15-20 minutes each time until you build your run to a 3 hour workout 3-4 weeks before your race.
- Faster: Complete 2.5-3 hour long runs 2 of every 3 weeks for the 11 weeks before the race. Run a potion of each of them at the upper half of your HR Zone 2, building up to 2 hours long by 3-4 weeks before the race.
I know for marathon training a classic benchmark workout is the Yasso 800′s. Anyone else have any tips for knowing if you’re on track when training for a running or triathlon event?